Monday, November 3, 2014

My First Film Camera - Nikon FG

I got a used film camera from Mudah earlier when I decided to try out film for the first time. It's a Nikon FG with a 50mm E series lens. The previous seller not sure if the camera was working so I went on and get a roll of Kodak Ultramax 400 to try it out.

My Nikon FG feat Fujifilm X100s

Loading the Kodak Tri-X B&W film...
I was feeling kind of mysterious and insecure as you are using this camera to take photos, you can't see what you get immediately. The joy came after you have develop and got back the jpeg. I'm feeling like a kid opening the Christmas present! Although the image looks grainy and not really sharp (due to my bad focusing), the camera basically works!

I shoot in Aperture priority (that's was among the first entry level SLR that offer this feature!, Beside the professional F3), and it got the exposure all right most of the time. The only things I din't do is to take down the exposure details when I took these shots.

Many thanks to Bang Bang Geng @ Publika for developing the film, scan and emailed to me. I'm definitely going to visit them again! Here are some of the images I got from the camera. 

This is the closest the 50mm can focus, 60cm

Shot in good light and moderate aperture (f/5.6 I think)

Wide open bokeh action

Wide open again...

This paper flowers is from my beloved girlfriend 5 years ago...

What you see is what you get?

abit off focus









Overall I am satisfied with the output it produces, and with the right techniques, technology is not to blame for making a bad picture!

Related Articles

0 comments:

Post a Comment